Thursday, November 11, 2004

Relax. Just Do It.

I'm getting to that point in the semester where I'm starting to sweat a bit. So I've taken up some new modes of relaxation.

I've started coloring during class. At first I tried to sneak it. Picking only one or two crayons out of my backpack and quietly coloring a page of Mickey and Minnie mouse enjoying a campfire, hidden behind a notebook and my purse. But then a girl asked, "What are you doing that for?" And I had no answer ready so I told her the truth. "Because I like it. It relaxes me. And because I like Mickey Mouse." She watched me color. "Wow, you're right. It's relaxing me just watching you color." I'm a genius. I pulled my box out and proudly added color upon color until Mickey and Minnie were in matching outfits and the night sky had brilliant mixed colors of blue and blue-violet.

I've also taken to a new website I thought of visiting after thinking about how much I missed my friend Heather and how I'd give anything to be in Southern California doing anything but what I'm doing right now. So I went to the San Diego Zoo online. Animals are relaxing. They eat and sleep and don't stress about how many words are in an essay. Then I discovered that not only are there pictures and information about animals but you can actually watch them! As if you're really at the zoo! So I now spend spare moments I find between the hours of 9am and 4pm Pacific Time watching the pandas eating bamboo, the apes swinging between trees, the elephants just walking around and the polar bears playing with whatever they throw in their cage for entertainment.

Also, I've found that almost killing my mother with a quickly developed lie is also relaxing. I have recently inherited five children for five days. I will be watching them during Thanksgiving break while their parents enjoy the blue skies and blue waters of Tahiti. The other night I decided I'd best tell my parents soon to give them time to adjust to the idea. My dad answered, and I told him the new plan. He laughed. Not because he was excited but because he knew I would be murdered by a piercing scream when I told my mother. I heard him creep into his and my mother's bedroom and say, "Linda? Emily's on the phone. She has some shocking news. But it's okay. Everything's okay. The news is just sort of shocking so be ready." I laughed at the introduction and between the three seconds between the end of that intro and the "Hello?" from my mother led me through this thought process..."Wow... this is perfect... he totally set me up... I'll tell her I'm engaged... she'll freak out... no, she'll really like it... then when I take it away she'll be disappointed and as if I'll ever get married and then she'll be even more mad... no, can't use engagement... pregnancy then... yes, i'll tell her i'm pregnant... fornication is funny..." And so I took a deep breath.
"What is it?" she asked.
"Mom... I'm pregnant."
Followed by a quiet, "What?"
"I'm pregnant. I know it's a bit shocking but it's going to be okay."
Almost thirty seconds passed of complete silence and then she laughed, "No you're not!"
I laughed too. Wow, I had her going there. "No, I'm not. But I will have five babies on Thanksgiving."
"No you're not!!"
But I am. And I can't wait! I'll have my coloring pages, my online zoo and my babies. What more does a girl need in her finals survival kit?

No comments: