Friday, July 14, 2006

A Flippy By Any Other Name...

I got a new phone. It's called Motorola V360. But I think it needs a new name. I'm considering Flippy. But I don't know it well enough yet to say for sure.

There is something I do know about it. It's ridiculously hard to use. My previous phones have had pretty much just two functions. 1) dial and answer calls. 2) receive and send text messages.

I was content with this but my phone grew old and started dropping calls (which got mysteriously worse after it got wet at 3:30 in the morning on the 4th of July when the sprinklers came on in the front yard I was "sleeping" in off of the Provo parade route). So I had to get a new one.

On my new phone, I wanted to be able to assign rings to specific people so that I could know who was calling before I... you know... read the caller ID.

So I had to get a Motorola. And this was the cheapest phone with that function. And it also happens to have a digital camera, a video camera and an MP3 player. It also has a thick manual to "help" a person use it but really it's just 100 pages of terms and conditions and then a diagram with arrows pointing to keys on the phone with labels like "Smart key" and "Send key."

But after only a day and a half of cussing and pushing random buttons I think I've finally learned to appreciate it's devilish charm and harness it's power. I can now assign ring tones. Dial by just saying a name. Take a picture. Record a short video. And send a text message. And one day, one fine day, I'll be able to use that MP3 player. Watch out!

1 comment:

Leah said...

Hooray for Flippy's devilish charm!