Sunday, April 20, 2003

It's Easter. It doesn't seem so exciting (or stressful) as it used to be. Remember when you were little? In our family, we used to wake up in the morning and go on an Easter egg hunt. It was usually in our house since it was almost always rainy outside. So my brother, sister and I would run around the house looking behind curtains and under couch cushions for little plastic eggs filled with candy. Good times.
And then there came the middle years where somehow I turned into the Easter Bunny. That was weird. These were the years between about ten or eleven until I was about fifteen. But I still got the candy. So I was okay.
Then came the years when mom took over again. And in order to be "cool" since her kids were older, she asked us if we wanted her to put money in the eggs instead. I totally fell for it! We all did. Money was always better, right? Wrong. We should have known. We hunted like crazy for those eggs but then when we collected and opened up our eggs we knew we'd been dooped. All change. And rarely was a quarter found. I made around $1.50 that day. We should have kept the chocolate plan. But there's no more hiding eggs. No, no. The baby is sixteen now and he thinks Easter egg hunts are lame. (See? He's a fool, too. Always go for the free goodies, baby brother! Stay as long as you can!) It's been a few years now since I've been home for Easter. And I feel good about that. I've got a huge jar full of loose change, a Macy's bag with leftover Easter chocolate from the roommate shinanegans and a shout-fest free dinner planned. So as far as I'm concerned, I win. Easter is mine!
I'll win the holiday war... I will! One holiday at a time. First it was New Years... and then Independence Day... now Easter... what next? What next?

No comments: