Tuesday, December 18, 2007

Witness

Tonight was Taquito's graduation from the Intermediate Class. My dog's a genius. I got there a bit early so I could walk him around a bit and hopefully get him to chill before class began. I was about to make a right turn right in front of the store to score a good spot when I saw a van approaching. I was annoyed because they had basically cut me off to turn in front of me (my blinker was going but most people don't care about that) and they were going pretty fast and then they suddenly stopped so I couldn't get by and just stayed in the middle of the aisle for a few seconds. Then I thought they were doing a Chinese Fire Drill. Tons of teens scrambled out of the van and started running around. But then I noticed the panic in their movements and realized they either thought there really was a fire in a Chinese Fire Drill or something was seriously wrong. Something was seriously wrong. They had hit a pedestrian and the poor woman was lodged under the van. I squeezed my tiny car around the van (I love my tiny car!) and parked in the nearest spot. I rushed out to see plenty of blood, plenty of panic and part of a woman that wasn't moving. I asked three of the teens running around if they had called 911. Two of them said yes. One man was on the phone and I asked him again, "Did you call 911?" He said he had, that help was on the way and not to worry because he was a cop. One of the girls that was reaching her hand under the van told me not to worry because she was a nurse. They both looked like they were twelve. I started to walk to a quieter place so I could make a phone call of my own when I heard the "nurse" say, "Oh gosh, you guys! There's a lot of blood and I don't feel a pulse!" I called 911, fought with some Petsmart employees who wouldn't verify their address to the 911 dispatcher because "they didn't know" and "couldn't give out that information" so I yelled at her and told her to get her manager because something like an address should be available and because you don't tell a 911 dispatcher that you won't give out your address. Eventually I got the address out of the manager, verified my personal information to the dispatcher and watched two fire engines, an ambulance and and eight or nine police cars show up. When my class was over about an hour later there were still police officers there. The parking lot had turned into a full out crime scene with tape and everything and the van still in the same location. I told the officers that I had seen the accident, they asked me some questions, took down my personal information and let me know that the woman would be okay. She had a hospital stay in front of her and she was hurt "real bad" but that she'd be okay. Thank goodness! I still feel like I need to throw up.

6 comments:

Sara Love said...

Holy cow! What a story! I can't believe you were there for all this. It's like one of those things that happens on a some show like CSI.
PS - loved reading about Taquito and the chocolate! Hope he's doing better :)

Nama said...

oh, em. of all the people to witness something like that involving lots of blood. why you?

i'm so sorry.

but i'm glad everything was fine. and she's going to be okay.

Spliz said...

that is insane, and I can't believe I heard about Taquito graduating from intermediate class yesterday, instead of bleeding woman under a car!
further proof dogs warp your priorities.

Em said...

Yeah... I really didn't feel about talking about the gory details again. I figured you'd read this eventually...

Thanks for the birthday serenade! Even if Michael did waste the good surprise on you. :)

Leah said...

Aahhh! How traumatic! I'm glad she's going to be okay.

Anonymous said...

That is awful. What's worse is that the Petsmart employees didn't get into their heads that you give out your business's address. But hopefully she was OK