Tuesday, August 10, 2004

Seventeen

I'm trying to remember what it was like to be seventeen. When I was seventeen I remember thinking that my parents had no idea what it was like even though they claimed they knew exactly what it was like and therefore understood exactly what I was going through. They kept saying, "Hey! I was seventeen once too you know!" I was seventeen once. And I'm only twenty-three now. And already I can't remember what it was like exactly to be seventeen. I realize even more fully now that my parents were full of crap. I'm at a loss of how the seventeen-year-old mind works. I'm at an even greater loss of how the seventeen-year-old male mind works. And so, how is it that I'm supposed to entertain two seventeen-year-old boys? How can I be sure that I'm the coolest big sister that ever existed? How can I make them open up to me and tell me the gory details of their seventeen-year-old existance? How can I be sure that they're making right decisions at home and with their friends? How can I be sure? Oh, gosh. I am so not ready to be a parent! But I'm not. Phew! So maybe we'll stick to Seven Peaks, the mall, Lagoon and making stupid jokes. What else can you do?

No comments: