Sunday, June 04, 2006

Grounded

I made the rounds yesterday (meaning the 3rd because it was the 4th that I started writing this blog but then couldn't finish it because I realized I read my itinerary wrong and was about to miss my plane and then when I got back to UT my internet was out until just this evening), stopping by to see some friends I hadn't gotten to see much since this week was mostly about my grandma. Even most of yesterday was spent with my family. We went to see a movie and then drove to Burien to eat at Huckleberry Square which is a restaurant my grandma used to take us to all the time. (And then we got a flat tire and had to find somebody who would put a spare on...which was also flat... and then had to drive to the shop to get it fixed.)

We didn't pull into the driveway until mid-afternoon and then I went out to see Gina and Julie and Jennifer. In that order. My last stop was at Jennifer's and we ending up talking until around 2am. When I pulled into my parents' driveway the living room light was on and I could see my dad pacing.

Where have you been?
Around.
What?
Visiting. I saw Gina. And then I went to dinner with Julie and Lance. And then I went to Jennifer's.
I tried to call you. Why didn't you pick up?
My cell phone doesn't work in the valley. You know that.
You should have called!
I'm sorry, dad. I really am. I'm not used to checking in with anybody. But you knew I had a key and that I stay out late sometimes and that I'm TWENTY-FIVE!
I know.. I know... but I worry. Also, I did something you're not going to like...
No, dad. You didn't!
Yes...
You called people?!
Yes...
At this hour?
Yes...
WHO?
The Powells... I woke Mike up. And the Faerbers. Julie said to call her in the morning. And the Smarts. Adam seemed really worried.
Dad! I'm TWENTY-FIVE!
I'm sorry! I worry. You remember what it was like when Judy came home for the summer. I didn't get any sleep.Even though I know you're grown and that you probably do the same stuff when you're away at college I can't help but worry when you're supposed to be HERE!
Sorry, dad. I really am. It was selfish and thoughless of me not to call. But, you're not going to wig out like this when I move to Tacoma are you?
No. It's far enough away that I won't worry like this.
Phew.

My point: My dad is a really, really, really nice man. He used to do this on an almost weekly basis when I was in high school. I would get yelled at by half the ward on Sunday for not letting my dad know where I was and forcing him to call them in the middle of the night looking for me. I swear I left a note...

1 comment:

Leah said...

I think it's sweet!