Monday, December 08, 2008

Drinking Party

I haven't been to a party where alcohol was the main guest since... never.  I've heard about those parties.  Seen pictures of those parties.  Cleaned up after those parties.  Drove some of those partiers home and put them to bed.  But I've never actually been to one of those parties.  I wasn't in the cool crowd in high school and my college years were spent on a dry campus.
 
But I went to one of those parties on Saturday night.  With people twice my age.  On the false pretense that it was a "work" party.  They didn't intend to mislead me.  But they did.  It started at 6pm.  We were asked to bring cookies, appetizers and a white elephant gift and were told to be prepared for some karaoke madness.  We were told to bring our own alcohol if desired but that soda would be provided.  I had to work until 7 and the lady's house was 45 min away so I told them I'd be late.  I brought cookies and a white elephant gift just in case but I figured I'd probably miss the cookie and gift exchange.  But I'd still get to see some old friends before everybody headed out for the night.  So the trip would be worth it.
 
It was.  It was really worth it. 
 
When I walked in, I recognized only one face... the face of our hostess.  She said the others would be coming in a bit.  I waited.  And waited.  The 6 or 7 guests drank and drank and the karaoke performances got more and more entertaining.  Still I waited.  Finally one face I knew showed up.  Then hours later 3 more.  By this time people were falling down, story lines sounded like something out of Alice's Wonderland and the beverages were running low.
 
We finally exchanged gifts and cookies which I had to heavily help facilitate because they couldn't remember the rules but were adament about playing.  The neighbor was half carried home and put in bed only to pop back in ten minutes later forgetting why she had gone home.  One guy outed his buddy to his fiance about his allegid marijuana use which turned out to be the highlight of my night besides the times the same guy shoved a mic in my face saying, "Wanna sing?  Sing!  Come on!  No?!  Alright then!" and then, before I could respond, went on to sing a song from The King and I.
 
Getting to know you... gettig to know all about you...
 
Brilliant.

3 comments:

Kirsten said...

makes you wanna do it again doesn't it?

Nama said...

you have always been the life of the party, em. i'm happy to see you continuing that legacy...

Leah said...

Oh happy drunks. They make the world a more entertaining place. A couple of weeks ago I was with my little bro and friends when he got drunk. He made us brownies and sang to us. Good times.