Tuesday, February 04, 2003

Childhood memories. Childhood trauma. All good things. My mom was crazy... well, she still is. Growing up with her ideas has left me afraid of (to name a few) blue jays, E.T., the dark, doctors, dentists, hospitals and most major household cleaning sprays. How might this be possible? Let me explain.

Blue Jay Story:
Young Emily: Mom?
Mom: (no response)
Em: I'm going to go outside and play, ok?
Mom: (no response)
Em: Okay... (goes to open the door)
Mom: NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Em: (jumps back) What??
Mom: Can't you see there's a blue jay on the fence???
Em: Oh... ya...
Mom: Blue jays are VICIOUS! They're the meanest of the birds!! They'll fly down and attack you for no reason!!!
Em: Really?
Mom: YES!!! Mean birds, blue jays!!!!
Em: Oh...
Mom: MEAN!
Em: I'm going to go play in my room...

The rest of my irrational fears may be (or may not be) explained at a later date... baby steps...

No comments: