Wednesday, November 24, 2004

Babysitter's Blog: Day 4 of 6

This is my fifth day with little sleep the previous night. I have done at least two dozen loads of laundry. Cleaned and re-cleaned each room at least a dozen times (a baker's dozen perhaps?) and have run the dishwasher five times. I have changed about two dozen diapers (some of them containing toxic waste as Derek would say). I have helped three children with their homework each night, trying to explain the differences between different types of Canadian settlers, helping with third grade vocabulary and first grade speech lessons. I have wiped away uncountable tears and have rocked the small and the big babies to sleep. I have stayed up late making last minute arrangements for the next day, picking up toys and watching a bit of unanimated TV. I have worked hard this week to make the house clean, the children happy and the environment upbeat. I'm telling you, having five kids around is hard work!! And I've loved every minute of it. I've laughed so hard my sides have hurt more times than I've changed diapers. And I've had a blast making the messes that never seem to get cleaned up. And there have been more moments of pride for their accomplishments than there have been loads of laundry.

A big piece of me wants to just stay here forever. No. Here's a better plan... how about the Faerbers come home from Tahiti to switch places with me? And then when they're at their end they'll switch with me again. And we'll just keep switching and switching. A week at home with the kids. A week on Tahiti with the sun. Sounds like heaven to me.

No comments: