Saturday, April 01, 2006

The Tacoma Aroma

Tacoma is located about 40 minutes south of my parents' house in Renton. And it's about 15 minutes north of Lakewood. Tacoma used to get a lot of flack for it's ominous odor. The old paper mill filled the air with death. We called it the Tacoma Aroma. And it was bad. But now the paper mill has closed its doors (I believe there were villagers with pitchforks involved) and the old cereal mill closed too. And a few other gross mills. So the odor has lifted and left in its place a shimmer of hope that smells nothing of death. And I'm going to live there. If I have my way I'll be living right off the pier near the museum. My very own place. I signed a contract with Clover Park School District which is located in Lakewood. I feel okay about it. A new job. A new apartment. A new city. And it smells nothing of death.

6 comments:

kat said...

so much for indecision.

congratulations! it's going to be awesome.

Ann-Marie said...

congrats on your new job!!! it's going to be great! and now we have a new place to road trip to so that we can see em and stay at her new place and we'll have a sleepover. yipee!

Em said...

hurray for my friends coming to visit me! we'll have such a good time!

Ryan said...

nobody told me you were moving. punk.

Em said...

Wow! Sounds like you've got quite a move ahead of you as well! Will you be moving soon? Good luck with everything!

Tahoma Activist said...

Speaking on behalf of the citizens of Tacoma, I can honestly tell you that we treat people right down here. The nightlife isn't that great, and the music is pretty awful, and certain neighborhoods are somewhat unsafe to leave your car in, but other than that it's awesome.

This city is home to the Pierce County Central Labor Council (which I'm on, as a delegate from my union - letter carriers - Branch 130) It's got plenty of great people and funky small businesses. It has a lot of diversity and a real smalltown spirit. I urge anyone who comes from up there check out the Progressive Roundtable, a meeting of progressive activists and neighbors every fourth friday at 7 AM, at the Commencement Bay Coffee Company on Jefferson. Come and meet some of the finest minds in the entire South Sound! Together we are working to organize a movement that has the power to topple this regime and send these criminals to jail once and for all.

And won't that be nice?