Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Poodle Man

I went to the Humane Society on Monday. I want a dog. I want a dog so bad it hurts. I need a dog. So I went to the Humane Society to see if they had a small dog about a year old that was reasonably well-mannered and would respond to the name Taquito. What I found instead was a lump in my throat and a sudden desire to buy a small house on a large piece of property so I could adopt every single dog and let them run free. I found the throat lump and the plantation desire but no Taquito. I left feeling sad and somehow much lonlier than before, as if I had somehow lost a dog I'd never had. Oh, Taquito, where are you?!

As I drove home feeling a bit sorry for myself and contemplating Plan B on my "Find Taquito 2007" Plan, I passed three cars with dogs in the back seat. And I felt even more sorry for myself. "Everybody has a dog but me... sigh." I started to come up behind a fourth car with a canine companion. It looked like a large poodle with thick, tight, black curls and a blue bandana (wow... only one letter away from banana... be careful!) around his neck. The car was also going kind of slow so I veered into the right lane and as I passed it I got a closer view. The poodle wasn't a poodle at all. It was a man.

I laughed so hard I cried. And as the tears rolled down my face and blurred my vision I learned two great lessons. 1. You have to be extra careful while driving with blurred vision and 2. Even though I don't currently have a dog, I need to be grateful that I at least don't have a Poodle Man. He must be so high maitenance! And it'd be hard to find a vet.

7 comments:

Leah said...

Don't be hasty... that poodle man might just be your Taquito.

kat said...

or maybe he'd take you out to eat a taquito.

Ann-Marie said...

that was the best story i've read all day! thanks for making me smile em, and i hope you find a poodle man of your own someday!

Nama said...

i bet it was jerry garcia...going to see elvis...and eat taquitos.

Leah said...

How's "Find Taquito 2007" coming along?

Kimberly said...

LOL! Oh dear. If I weren't in a quiet study area I would be crying and laughing too. I once saw a man like that, but he had red hair and was Anna Clark's mailman. (Shudder). He was an armpit with eyeballs.

Unknown said...

ROFL!!