Wednesday, April 02, 2003

The first grade. Good times. Today we had an earthquake drill and it reminded me of the good ol' days when I was in elementary school and we learned exactly how to cram our bodies under the desk in order for us to undergo the least amount of damage. Good times. I know the drills were meant to make us take earthquakes seriously but we had all been through so many small quakes that they were more like free rides on the merry-go-round than anything to be scared of. Anyway, after the drill the 20 youngens had a little discussion about earthquakes and safety. They asked a lot of important questions. Deep questions. Questions that left me to ponder. Help me out here...
Question 1: "But... what if I was sick and wasn't at school during an earthquake? How would I be able to follow the class to the safety spot?"
Question 2: "But... what if we didn't have desks to hide under? or tables? or door frames? could I hide in the closet then?"
Question 3: "But... what if it the snow was piled up so high outside that we couldn't get out after the earthquake?"
Question 4: "But... what if the snow was piled up so we couldn't leave, there was an earthquake AND a fire?? And... I don't like gold fish crackers... is there anything else in that safety bag to eat? Can we eat it now?"
And my personal favorite...
Question 5: "But... what would happen if the intercom stopped working and so the drill didn't go off? How would we know there was an earthquake?"

No comments: