Monday, October 13, 2003

Swing Time

Every day for the past few weeks it's been my responsibilty to supervise two first graders as they play outside for about fifteen minutes as their classmates are in PE learning how to defend themselves against kidnappers. The kids play tetherball or play on the toys or swing. There's only two of them and they're great at entertaining themselves. I'll occasionally redirect their play, push them on a swing or chase them around but usually they keep to themselves and have no need for me. So I spend this time swinging.

I swing and swing. I go back and forth, back and forth, higher and higher. The swinging is constant and predictable. But my thoughts race. They're random. I think about serious things. Things that bother me, things I remember but wish I didn't and things I fear. But on the swing it's different. I don't get upset, or scared or worried. I'm on a playground with kids and I'm on a swing. It's simple and innocent. And so are my thoughts. Even the most complex concerns seem to be scrawled out in crayon. They're not a big deal any more. Those memories are just as important as remembering what I ate last night for dinner. On the swing I'm happy and light as I swing back and forth, higher and higher thinking and swinging. And that's all.

Also, when I swing with the kids I can get WAY higher than any of them! "No child can beat me!"

No comments: