Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Pajamas and Locked Doors

It's Spirit Week again at the middle school. And today was pajama day. Again. Today I chose my striped pajama pants and my new baby blue robe, baby blue slippers and baby blue eye mask thing. I was ready to roll. I took the elevator down to the parking garage and as I walked to my car I thought it might be a good idea to take off my robe on my way to work since my car can get pretty warm in the morning. So, I unlocked my passenger door and started to disrobe (haha). Since I had put my keys in one pocket and my cell phone in the other I had a very clear and loud voice in my head say, "Em... remember to take out your keys before you lock the door." I reached in my pocket, pulled out my cell phone and shut the door. The door closed in slow motion and the "No!" I yelled was low, long and dramatic.

I was locked out of my car.

I was locked out of my building (my key card was attached to my actual keys).

And I was in my pajamas.

"No way that just happened." I was staring at my car in disbelief when out of the corner of my eye I saw the red lights of a car about to back out. I ran over, rapped on the passenger window of the car and pleaded for help. "Hi... Hi... excuse me. Sorry. You see, I locked myself out of my car. Do you know what time the office opens so somebody can help me?" The woman got out of her fancy car, looked me up and down and said, "Did you sleep in your car?"

"What?! No... I'm a teacher. It's Spirit Week. Pajama Day. Look, would you please let me in the building? My cell phone won't work in the garage and I'm going to need to call my dad for the spare."

"I guess so." She reluctantly walked to the doors and scanned me in.

Well, I was still locked out of my car in my pajamas but at least I wasn't locked out of the building any more. Which made me happier... even if I couldn't get into my apartment. I called my dad and begged for his help which would include almost an hour trip during rush hour to deliver the spare. (What a nice dad!)

Then I had to call work since I would undoubtedly be late. And I had to tell them WHY I would be late. As the person who received my message relayed it back to me to "clarify", I could already hear the office filling up with an entertained crowd of my co-workers. Later, I would be repeatedly teased and mocked for being "special" like my students. I liked it. :)

As I waited for my dad to arrive, there wasn't much to do. Everything I had was either locked in my car or locked in my apartment so I took myself down to the gym down the hall and walked on the treadmill for an hour until I got the call that my dad was in front of the building. I burned 277 calories. I feel robbed.

Also, today was a half day (for my students) and so I had to spend the second half of it at a long and dreadfully boring meeting... in my pajamas. And then I had to go to another two-hour meeting with the district... in my pajamas. I was warm and comfortable and mocked mercilessly from 7:30am to 6:00pm. Ahhh... priceless.

5 comments:

Chester B. said...

You need to carry a "slim jim" tool in your pajamas.

:)

kat said...

a day full of merciless mockery?
did it make you miss me?

Nama said...

haha! at least you didn't start your car and THEN lock yourself out with your car running...i've been a witness to that...twice.

and i think this year, for halloween, i will go to work in my pajamas, because that sounds soooo comfortable and warm.

matt said...

i think you need to read this blog:
http://papamudd171.blogspot.com/2006/12/how-good-is-your-locksmith.html

Geggie said...

I found your site on Sparkpeople. This is a great story! Glad that it worked out well for you in the end. Great job on walking on the treadmill instead of eating donuts!!