Wednesday, January 10, 2007

Weathering the Storms

It's been a while. But for those of you who listened to my record backwards and heard "Em is dead," rest assured. It was just a hoax. I wasn't really dead.

Washington has been in the news a lot lately. Two weeks before Christmas we were hit by a huge storm. It was hurricane-like in nature and wiped out power in millions of homes. Some of them (including my home town) were without power for almost two weeks. When I listened to the local radio stations I heard people calling in and begging for help. There was no electricity and in some areas there wasn't even water. And temperatures dropped to all-time lows. Several people died from drowning, electric shock, being crushed by trees, carbon monoxide poisoning, etc. Me? I never even lost power. My cable went out for about 10 minutes during the storm, though. Life is hard.

After that, there came Christmas. At least, I think it happened. I have a new GameCube in my apartment. So something happened. But it wasn't the same. Most of the stores were closed for several days before Christmas so shopping was a no-go. Almost everybody's Christmas lights wouldn't glow. And then, of course, there was no Grandma. That sucked.

On the plus side, over Christmas break (I mean Winter break...) I got my own classroom. Before I was sharing a classroom with another teacher and it was divided in half with bookshelves. It was horrible and I hated my life. But now I don't hate it as much.

Today I didn't hate it at all. We're in the middle of another storm. A snow storm this time. And there was no school today. And by the look of it outside right now, there's a huge possibility that my unexpected vacation will be extended by another day tomorrow. Hurray!

Back to my GameCube...

5 comments:

matt said...

sooo, were you mostly dead?

kat said...

are you sure you're not just blogging from beyond the grave?

Spliz said...

ya, I heard you were dead.

Nama said...

remember when you were a teacher in washington and you didn't blog for a month and there were all these signs you were dead, like readind your blog backwards and it would say "Em is dead"?

remember that?

...

that wass a hoax, right?

Leah said...

Remember that one time when I said, "Maybe I should move to WA" and then I started considering it for reals and then you blogged about really cold weather and I'm not so sure now? But I'm still thinking (and praying) about it because then I would see you all the time!