Tuesday, June 17, 2003

I have great memories of traveling from our home in Renton to Seattle 3 or 4 times a week as a young 6-10 year old. It's not a long trip, but it was a great and exciting trip for a young kid. We have to go over several bridges, including the floating bridge. That equalled a good time because we would pretend that we were paddling in a kayak or some other boat, or that we were swimming ridiculously fast. Wayne would peal into laughter as I'd pretend that a huge octopus had grabbed my leg or that a fish had bit my toe.

But the tunnels... the tunnels were where the real fun went on. At first I taught him the "hold your breath through the tunnel" rule. We had a great time watching our faces turn all different shades red, until my mom caught on to our game as well and would slow down as much as possible and have a little fun of her own. So we made up some new games. I would pretend that whenever we went into a tunnel we were in warp speed and we'd both throw ourselves back against the seat and try our best to make our faces look like they were being pulled back also. Then sometimes we'd combine the two and hold our breath as we were "speeding" through the tunnel. Wayne usually won because he'd make such funny "speeding" faces that I'd laugh and lose.

Tunnel games... good times.

No comments: