Monday, June 02, 2003

I pull one little stunt and suddenly I'm "listed" and then next thing I know I'm having to give a talk in sacrament meeting. It's been over three years since I've had to do that. I'm a little bit freaked out. It's funny because all growing up I was one of the very few youth who would give talks and I'd end up giving a talk in Sacrament once every other month or so, or the Bishop would always randomly call me up to share my testimony or give my thoughts on something. The ward loved to pick on me, to see me sweat a bit. But after a while, I really learned to love it. I looked forward to giving talks. Even my freshman year of college, when I was ridiculously intimidated by my peers, I was excited to give both talks that year. As of this coming August, I will have been in this ward for three years and this is the first time I've been asked to talk. Three years! Although I've given one or two talks back home during the summers, I'm wildly out of practice. And I'm pretty sure this experience could end up messy. Not only because I'm intimidated by who will be out there, or because I know everybody out there, or because I wasn't even that great of a speaker when I was doing it all the time... but because it's quite obvious that I don't know how to talk. I can give a 20 min talk in 5 min and when it's over people are crying... not because they were touched but because they were scared because I was speaking in tongues or something. Trust me. Who's going to hold the yellow card for me?? Any volunteers??

No comments: