Thursday, June 05, 2003

Just so you know...I'M A GENIUS!
Well... maybe not... but the miracle that was performed today made me look like I was a genius.
This morning at 6:45 I met Micah and Vance to head up to the airport. We picked up Rich, Micah's friend and soon to be roommate, on the way and the four of us started up the freeway to the airport. We drove Micah's car because his company gave him money for gas and he felt bad making me take my car. So Micah drove his car up with the intention that I'd drive it back. We got almost halfway to Salt Lake when I looked down and realized, "Hey! This car's a stick! I don't know how to drive a stick!"
I panicked. What do I do? What do I do? Maybe I won't bring it up and I'll be able to drive it to a parking lot and call for help. Who do I know that drives stick? Liz? No, she only has one leg. Kat? Her car's an automatic but maybe she can drive stick... hmmm. No, I should tell Micah I don't know how. Because if I crash it, I'm going to feel really bad. Ow... that would hurt, too! D'oh!
"Uh... Micah?"
"Ya?"
"I know this isn't good timing... but... I don't know how to drive stick."
"What? You don't?"
Chuckling comes from the back seat. Vance and Rich are having a great time with this one.
"Ya, Micah. I'm sorry. I just looked down now and realized the problem."
"Uh... it's okay. No, it really is. We have an extra hour because Vance's flight leaves so early. So, Rich and I will drive around the airport with you and teach you how to drive stick.
"Okay."
"Okay?"
"Okay."
So we dropped off Vance and Micah taught me how to use the clutch and how to "shift down" and stuff like that. We drove around the airport loop 5 or 6 times and then it was time to drop of Micah and Rich. Oh dear. But do you know what? I drove all the way home and only killed the car once. (And that was on Freedom, one block from home.) But I drove on the freeway, got through an after-accident traffic jam, got through Downtown Provo (with four red lights) and made it safely into the Villa parking lot.
I was so excited that the first thing I did was call Liz to tell her what I genius I was. Her first response was, "Man, Em. You get weirder and weirder every day." But I still think that if you want something bad enough and your heart is pure wonderful things can happen!! This is all I'm saying...

No comments: