Saturday, February 07, 2004

The Return of Tragedy Two

I have a way with dealing with problems that arise... I just don't deal with them at all. I figure if I downplay it, pretend it's not a big deal, eventually it'll just go away. You'd be surprised at how often that works. But an ingrown toenail doesn't play that game. I finally cracked yesterday and went to the doctor.

As most of my loyal readers know, I'm terrified of doctors. And I mean terrified! Just walking into a clinic and smelling the clinicy smells, makes keeping my lunch down a full time job. This time, however, was much worse because I knew exactly what they were going to have to do to me.

I was early so I sat in the waiting room reading my book trying to keep my mind off the sharp objects and pain that would follow. The receptionist made a phone call. "Hello, Ms. Jones. This is so and so from Dr. Brown's office. I'm just calling to remind you of your appointment for your son's surgery on Wednesday for his ingrown toenail. We'll see you at 2:00."

Surgery?? Well, I didn't like the sound of that! This counts as a minor surgery?? I looked at the exit. But my ride was gone and I knew that I was stuck.

I waited.

The doctor called me back. He told me it was the worst one he's seen. Comforting words. He also promised to give me enough number stuff so I wouldn't have to feel anything. "Promise? Because I don't like shots but I'll gladly take all five if you can promise me that I won't feel anything..."

He promised. He gave me all five shots. And then began. "Woah! You're a big bleeder!" Comforting words.

I covered my eyes, answered his questions about my life and listened to his life story as well. He's a great guy. But I had a hard time focusing on what he was saying because I was too busy trying not to scream or let my limbs flail. He stopped and asked, "Are you feeling this??" I was. It hurt. A LOT! But apparantly there was nothing he could do about it at that point so he just finished up.

He told me not to walk around too much for the next three days or else my "shoes would fill up with blood." Comforting words.

On the way home I stopped at ShopKo to get Epsom Salt, at Krispy Kreme to get donuts and at Taco Bell to get dinner. I fell asleep around 9:30 amidst wrappers and with the sounds of Nelly making a touchdown on the television. I slept for almost 11 hours.

All better.

Now the tragedy trio is complete! Right??

No comments: