Friday, October 21, 2005

No Market for Kids

My grandma used to talk about me to her friends in front of me. Always good things. She'd tell her friends about my good grades or something I did for her and then she'd pull my face up to hers by holding up my chin and say, "It's too bad there's no market for kids."

For years I had no idea what that meant. I was probably in middle school before I realized it was a compliment.

I spent the whole day with her today. I got there at 7am and left around 8pm. I comforted her before her tests and reassured her after. I helped feed her, spoke to her doctors and talked to her about old times.

She thanked me over and over for coming. She bragged to the nurses about how she must have done something right to have her grandchild come so far to see her. And I could suddenly hear an echo from years before, my grandmother lifting my chin, smiling into my eyes and saying, "Too bad there's no market for kids."

3 comments:

Fat eSpence said...

You're a sweetheart, em. Can I sell you on eBay?

Jon said...

This has to be the most heartwarming thing I've read in a long time. I should treat my Grandma, better.

P.S. Em, your Grandma called. She found a market for you.

Leah said...

Too bad there's no market for sharts.