Monday, October 16, 2006

Three-Day Weekend

This past weekend was a 3-day weekend. It was a much needed break. I don't know what it is about 28 middle schoolers but spending time with them is like spending time under the flourescent bulbs in Joe Versus the Volcano. "Suck...(spit sucking sound), suck! Suck, suck, suck!" They drain the life, patience and will to live right out of me. And yet, somehow, I love it. I must really be in the right field if I can come home as tired and drained as I do and yet be excited to see my students again the next day. Vicious circle.
So the idea of getting a day off, an opportunity to sleep a full night in my comfy bed, not worry about the Mt. Rainier sized pile of paperwork on my desk and just read my book (I'm currently reading "The Memory Keeper's Daughter" by Kim Edwards) and see my friends and family... well... it made me rethink the whole committing myself to a mental hospital thing. Rethink but not dismiss entirely.
So, Thursday night I stayed home and watched "The Office" because it's been a giant beam of sunshine in my dreary Northwest job. So, I watched my shows. ("My Name Is Earl" was on that night too.) And I read my book. And I fell asleep without setting my alarm.
Friday morning I stayed in bed until almost 10am reading my book and just loving my bed. I slowly got ready for the day, cleaned my apartment and packed my things for a weekend in Renton. My mom and I spent almost the entire day shopping. I didn't get anything. Well, a package of white socks (which I really needed since flip-flop weather is coming to an end). I picked out a couch that I may or may not actually buy but that I really want. It's a black leather couch that's really cheap and would match my apartment perfectly (mostly because there's nothing in my apartment so there's really nothing that it could possibly clash with). It made me hopeful that soon I'll have a place to sit down at my place and would allow me to invite people over with more to offer than a spot of the carpet. My mom and I bought a Snoopy costume for Mitzi. She hated it. Oreo and Speckles weren't too fond of it either. But I loved it.
Friday night, I watched "Deal or No Deal" with the Faerbers enjoying the pleasant escape from... stuff. Then Saturday, I had a great time chatting with Julie on the sidelines as we watched Preston and then Shelby play in their soccer games. They were kind of precious. Later that night, I finally got to meet little Makenna and see Michelle and her family who I have totally missed. Makenna's even more beautiful in person. I know. It's hard to believe.
On Sunday, I went to my sister's house and we watched the Seahawks game (Did anybody else watch? We won in the last 60 seconds of the game!) and then a disc of season two of "The Office" while we ate lunch. It was pretty much the perfect 3-day weekend. I came back to work this morning relaxed and happy. That lasted for two periods. Halfway through third I was ready to have myself committed again...

But...

Next weekend I'm going to Lopez. So maybe I'll make it through another week... maybe.

No comments: