Wednesday, July 07, 2004

Baking and Bonding

I saw my mother for the first time since Christmas on Sunday afternoon when I walked into Sacrament and sat down in her pew. I smiled the most genuine smile I could muster and she smiled back. It caught me off guard so I did a double take. When I did, my eye caught hers and I saw sincerity. And every moment since has been a pleasant one with my mother. I spent most of the evening with her yesterday. We went grocery shopping together so I could gather the ingredients I would need to make supper and she was delightful.

For dinner I made baked chicken, twice-baked potatoes and corn-on-the-cob. For dessert I made my dad's cheesecake. She was kind to me and talked to me and even helped out a little. She thanked me, complimented me and asked if I would play some games with her. I did. I had no reason to run away. When I decided it was time to go back to the Faerbers, she put on her shoes and drove me over there without complaint or guilt trip.

I don't know what's happening or how to respond. But I like it.

No comments: