Sunday, July 11, 2004

Travel bLog
July 9-10, 2004
Renton, WA - Provo, UT

Faerbers' full Suburban loaded with two weeks' worth of family supplies, my luggage, three adults and five children (10, 8, 6, 4 and 2) and two glorious screens hooked up to a life-saving DVD player

Pacific Time
5:00pm - Faerbers pick me up from my parents' home.
6:00pm - Left tire place with freshly rotated tires and headed towards freeway.
7:15pm - Five children realize we're going to be in the Suburban all night and find it necessary to set up "beds" right away. Arguing begins.
7:20pm - Two babies sit calmly. Older three go into meltdown. Oldest boy throws tantrum for being stuck between the two "savages."
7:45pm - It becomes calm again after promises of beatings if Dad has to pull the car over.
9:00pm - Start of 45 minute stop at Walmart in Pendleton for diapers, potty, seating switch and directions. (Note = We had been taking the wrong freeway.)
11:00pm - McDonald/Subway stop for late dinner.
12:45am - "She's touching me" meltdowns start up again. Parents turn the TV off as children complain and demands that they all go to sleep.
1:30 - 3:30am - My turn to drive. Not much to see. Radio on quietly so as not to disturb the sleeping chilren.
3:30 - 5:30am - My turn to sleep. Beautiful.
4:30am - Baby Dalton wakes up.
7:00am - Other children start to wake up.
8:25am - Fallon throws up. I begin the wipee clean-up as neighboring children recoil in horror.
8:30 10:00am - McDonalds stop for clean-up, breakfast and a chance to let the children run.
11:15am - Stop in Lehi to switch drivers.
11:30am - I drive us into Provo! I get my stuff out of the car. Children discover that I have a pool.
12:00pm - We all go swimming.
1:30pm - Faerbers leave for Park City.

Trips' Featured Films:
Spy Kids
Some twisted form of Thumbelina
Barbie Nutcracker
Bugs Life
Cody Banks

Mountain Time
5:30 - 7:30pm - Take a nap. Wake up not knowing what day it is or whether it's morning or night.
8:30pm - Kat, Lisa, Ann-Marie and I go to Panda Express for some dinner.
9:00pm - Watch "Miss Congeniality"
10:45pm - Go to bed. Sleep for 8.5 hours.

I loved the trip with my good friends and favorite kids! And yet, it's so good to be home!

No comments: