Tuesday, October 26, 2004

Halloween

Tomorrow is Halloween at Wasatch Elementary. It's the cutest day of the year and a very important one for every teacher's sanity. At least it is for mine. And I think it has saved many a child's life. Oftentimes when a child is being absurdly annoying or defiant often mutter, "You're lucky you're cute right now!" And it's true. I believe that there are certain children who's lives have been spared just because they're cute. Halloween strengthens this childhood defense. Because during those times that I'm at my end, when I think the only thing left is to scream and run away leaving the situation unsolved, I can picture that child in their Halloween costume and laugh a little thus sparing the child's life and years of therapy for both of us.

Last year there was this little hellion of a child. Only six years old but very defiant, uncooperative and rude. Every day was a struggle. Every thing was a struggle. I was ready to snap. But then came along good ol' Halloween to the rescue. The kid showed up with a home-made frog costume created out of a green sweat suit, foam styrofoam balls for eyes on his green hood and even little green felt frog feet strapped to his feet. He came running out to recess. No, he came hopping out to recess (literally) and I laughed so hard I cried. And from that day forward every time he was just about to make me crazy, I pictured him in that frog costume and it seemed that all was right in the world again.

And so I look forward to tomorrow's festivities when the hundreds of children at Wasatch will dress up and parade around the gym in their costumes. But almost as much, I look forward to being able to dress up. I spent almost an hour tonight in Claire's picking out the perfect accessories to go along with my costume. And since it seems that there will be no other opportunity to dress up this year, I have rise to the occasion tomorrow and get all of my Halloween fever relieved during our half day in the first grade at Wasatch Elementary. And maybe, just maybe, when one of my co-workers or student gets frustrated with me they'll picture me in my Halloween costume, give a little giggle and let it slide.

No comments: