Sunday, October 31, 2004

Sabbath Day Hauntings

We had thousands of bags of candy to give out last night at the mall. I was dressed up in my pink and black"rock star" get-up. The kids started coming at noon. They were really cute. "Twick-o-Tweat!!" By four-o-clock we were out of candy. I felt too bad turning them down and so we decided to start handing out mis-wraps, mint truffles that had other companies' logos on them. I'm pretty sure we weren't supposed to do that. In fact, we decided never to bring it up again. We handed out about 500 of those. Our supervisor had told us yesterday that if we ran out of candy that we were just supposed to stop and tell them we were out. So at 5-o-clock that's just what I did. I went out and took down our orange "Trick-or-Treating Here" signs. But parents got angry. They came in anyway. We told them we were out of candy. They said, "A candy store out of candy?! What about that right there?" They pointed to our jar of unwrapped mint truffles that we hand out as samples. We told them that they weren't wrapped and we felt that that wouldn't be okay. Isn't that breaking the biggest and oldest Halloween Trick-or-Treating rule? They said to shut up and give their kids the candy. And they want one too! Fine! So we started delving out unwrapped mint truffles. I handed the job over to our new 16-year-old employee. My five our stretch of bending over the counter to hand out candy had to end. I pretended to make caramel apples. We were on our last jar of samples when I heard him. Mr. Nasty. He started yelling at Miss Sixteen. He told her that there was a line and that it was horribly rude to hand out one at a time. He tried to grab the jar from her to spill them on the counter. She pulled away and said she couldn't do that. The candy wasn't wrapped. He started yelling at her saying her method of distribution was too slow (as he was holding up the line by stopping long enough to yell at her.) I snapped. I did. I had dealt with rude parents all night. I told that guy that we were doing all we could. That we had taken down out orange signs hours ago. That we had planned for thousands of children but that we were out and making due with what we had for the children. And that he could take his bad attitude right out of my store. He screamed and yelled. Security came. His kids ran away. I prayed that they would be kidnapped and taken to live with somebody who had a soul.

No comments: