Sunday, October 10, 2004

Senitheft

Jon Harmon said that I could make up that word senitheft and that it if I said that it meant "stealing from old people" that he would support that. Thanks, Jon. I appreciate that support. You've always been a dear friend to my warped vocabulary.

I chose this title because my parents may very well be senithieves. They've stolen money from me before. They steal money from my little brother and now, I do believe they have moved on to my very old grandmother. The cause for this reasoning are supported by the two following examples.

A) My mother offered me my grandmother's money to pay for school even though I know my grandmother very well and she has never gotten me a gift over the sum of $20. I refused the money trying to prevent senitheft.

B) Today when I was talking to my parents trying to decide whether or not to come home for Thanksgiving, my parents offered to let my grandmother pay for the trip. The conversation went as follows... (the phone went back and forth between my parents)
Em: I don't know if I can afford both holidays. And I have stuff to do down here.
Mom: Do you want to come home for Thanksgiving?
Em: Yes, but I don't want it to break me.
Mom: You should come home.
Em: It would be nice.
Dad: Are you coming home for Thanksgiving?
Em: I don't know if I can afford both holidays. And I have stuff to do down here if I can't come home.
Dad: Do you want to come home for Thanksgiving?
Em: Yes, but not if it'll break me.
Dad: Huh, let me talk to your mom.
Em: okay.
Dad: Your mom says that your grandmother says she'll give you the money for the trip if you want to come hom.
Em: Dad...
Dad: What?
Em: Did she really say that?
Dad: Yes...
Em: Dad? Are you sure?
Dad: Well, mom said she said that.
Em: Are you sure we're not stealing from an old lady?
Dad: (laughs) How about you talk to mom and grandma about that?
Em: Okay.
Mom: What?
Em: Are you sure we're not stealing from grandma?
Mom: Yes! You're grandma really wants you to be with the family for Thanksgiving.
Em: Are you sure?
Mom: Want me to ask her again?
Em: Yes.
Mom: (shouts to grandma) Mom? Do you want Emily to come home for Thanksgiving?
Grandma in the background: What?
Mom: Do you want Emily to come home for Thanksgiving?
Grandma: Ya... sure... whatever...
Mom: (to me) Your grandma says she really wants you to come home.
Em: But you didn't mention her paying for it. Does she know that her money's been offered?
Mom: YES! Gosh! (to grandma) Are you willing to help Emily pay for her trip home so she can be with the family for Thanksgiving?
Grandma: Uh...
Mom: So that she can come home and the whole family can be here?
Grandma: Fine! Give her the money!
Mom: (to me) Your grandma says that she really wants you to come home and that she's happy to give you the money.
Em: Huh. It didn't sound like that to me. I have enough in my account right now to cover it so how about I pay for the trip myself and if later I can't afford groceries then I'll call and grandma can help me buy some food. But I think I'll be okay.
Mom: Ya, okay. That'll work.
Grandma from the background: Does she want the money or not? You need me to write a check right now?
Mom: No, I think Emily's going to try and do it herself.
Grandma: Oh, alright...

I may have prevented senitheft this time but I can't always be there to prevent it and now I'm a really poor white girl. D'oh! It's a good thing Seattle is gorgeous. Like Kat.

No comments: