Friday, October 15, 2004

Reassurance

I was running late to work yesterday. Just like most days. Okay. All days. But yesterday I was a bit more late than usual. It's my job to get a little girl off of the school bus in the morning since she can't walk down the steps by herself. I usually make it right before the bus pulls up but yeterday I found myself driving two cars behind the bus which meant I had to really hurry. I pulled into a parking space, grabbed my backpack out of the back seat and made a mad dash towards the parked bus. I was almost there when my backpack suddenly rejected it's load of text books, binders, childrens' reinforcers and trail mix. My water bottle shot off towards the bushes. I took off my backpack and started to pick up my belongings. The bus driver or a peer would help the little girl off the bus. She'd be fine. But I was off to a rough start. But then a little fourth grader who had been playing football with his friends ran over and started helping me pick up.
"Your stuff just fell out?"
"Ya, I guess I didn't zip it up all the way. Thanks for helping."
"No problem. This one time, my cousin gave me his old backpack to use which I thought was really cool until I used it and it had a huge hole in the bottom and all of my stuff dumped out just like yours."
"That stinks."
"Ya, so it's okay. It's really not a big deal. It happens."
I thanked him again for helping me pick up my things and for being so kind and he ran off as quickly as he had come. I smiled. It was cute having a little fourth-grader reassure me. And I wanted to keep him. He could be my little reassurer. That way whenever I did anything stupid he could tell me that it wasn't a big deal and that it could happen to anyone. And whenever I got frustrated he could tell me that I was doing the right thing and could handle it. And when I was pressed for time he could run around and help me pick up the mess I made. And I wouldn't mind keeping him around because he's a cute kid and pretty small so maybe he doesn't eat that much.

No comments: