Wednesday, May 24, 2006

I Love Being a Teacher

Today was a beautiful day to be a teacher. Our weekly team meeting turned into breakfast at Mimi's. When we finally made our way back to work I played Soduko for a few hours until the real fun began. Our all-school water fight. We had the big kids in one field and the little kids in the other. Teachers lined the roof armed with buckets of water, water balloons and hoses. Hundreds of kids ran around crazy in their swimming suits and water guns. And I was out there with my new water gun that holds almost three liters of water, running around crazy with my swimming suit on. I'm eight. At one point, the fire department came. I thought somebody might have been hurt but instead of firemen running to help, they ran to their fire hose, hooked it up and sprayed the student body. We played for over an hour before it was time to go home. This is a picture of me post-water fight. I have some other pictures of the kids running wild but I figured it probably wasn't a good idea to post pictures of children that aren't mine without parental consent. Probably. But let me tell you... it was beautiful summer chaos. Ah... I love being a teacher!

5 comments:

Ann-Marie said...

you look wet!

Tramp said...

You are a teacher? Here is one I have to tell you.

Did you hear about the teacher who was helping one of her kindergarten students put on his boots? He was really
struggling, so she began pulling and him pushing. The boots still didn't want to go on. Finally, after several minutes
the first boot was on. When the second boot was on, she had worked up a sweat.

She almost whimpered when the little boy said, "Teacher, they're on the wrong feet."

She looked and sure enough, they were. It wasn't any easier pulling the boots off than it was putting them on. She managed to keep her cool as together they worked to get the boots back on -- this time on the right feet.

He then announced, "These aren't my boots."

She bit her tongue rather than get right in his face and scream, "Why didn't you say so?" like she wanted to. Once again she struggled to help him pull the ill-fitting boots off.

He then said, "They're my brother's boots. My Mom made me wear them."

She didn't know if she should laugh or cry. She mustered what grace and courage she had left to wrestle the boots on his feet again.

"Now," she said sweating profusely, "where are your mittens?"

He said, "I stuffed them in the toes of my boots. . ."


Hope you like it.

Leah said...

Working with kids is the best. We have water fights once a week.

Nama said...

why didn't i have you as my teacher in elementary school? i mean, i know i'm "special", but...

Chester B. said...

"Here comes the hurtz donut."