Tuesday, September 23, 2003

"I'll Be Back in a Minute."

This is my new nonsense phrase. I first realized myself using it (and abusing it) at the beginning of this semester when I was helping apartment 68 move in. I spent a lot of time there during their first week. And by a lot of time I mean hardly any real time at all but lots of tiny one-minute drop-ins. I'd just get there and then I'd see somebody who was just moving in who I knew from last year, get all excited and yell, "Be back in a minute!" as I ran out the door to greet my friend. A very long time later I'd be back in their apartment. But not for long. Soon a new girl would be moving in that needed help and who I wanted to meet. "Be back in a minute!" But I wouldn't be. Because on my way back from helping this girl move in I'd see another girl I knew (or didn't know) and I'd end up chatting. And then there'd be somebody else. I get distracted easily. Finally, hours later, I'd make my way back into 68. It became a joke between us. Well, it became a joke between us if the word "joke" means them making fun of me for having no focus and no concept of time. But we play with it...
Lisa: When are you going to pay me for your haircut?
Me: In a minute...

But this dishonest phrase has leaked into my apartment life as well. Or maybe it's always been there and I just didn't notice. In any case, last night I had to deliver meeting notes I had typed up to the RS presidency. "I'll be back in a minute," I called, "Then we can watch our movie." My route was 63, 65, then 79. Before Camille was called I was much quicker at accomplishing this task. OK, that's a lie too. I always get stuck in 63. Admit it, those girls are fantastic! I have to restrain myself from setting up camp in their living room. Anyway, my point is, it's harder now for me to get over there and back to the small building when I have to go all the way to the third floor. Now I have to pass practically every girl apartment. How can I resist going inside just for a minute??

Last night, I couldn't resist apartment 77. I chatted with Eddie and Elizabeth. Can you blame me? They're wonderful! After quite a while the phone rang. A perfect distraction. Elizabeth got up to get it and I said to Eddie, "I should probably go. I always tell Kat that I'll be back in a minute and then I end up talking to somebody forever and I don't come home for hours." Elizabeth comes back in the room with the phone, "Em, it's for you. It's Kat."

"You said you'd be back in a minute!!!"

No comments: