Tuesday, September 16, 2003

Taking Notes

Apparantly there's still a lot I can learn on the playground. Yesterday I watched a first grade girl make at least ten boys (who were mostly older and all bigger than she was) run all over the playground at her command then run races. These boys didn't want to be running. But they did. Why? Because she was holding their tetherball hostage. "If you want to play, then you have to run to the swings and back. Now run to the tree and back. Now to the fence and back. Very good. Hmmm. If I'm going to decide who's going to play first then you have to race. The winner gets to play first. That wasn't very fast. Try again."

So what did I learn from this? If I want a boy to serve me, then I need to hold their sporting equipment hostage. "Want this football? I need chocolate. Go."

No comments: