Tuesday, September 09, 2003

Life's Little Accidents

Have you ever heard that it's best to be totally relaxed before a car accident? If you panic and tighten all your muscles and "brace yourself for the blow" then you're really just preparing yourself for worse injuries. An example of this would be an accident involving an intoxicated driver. The drunk guy walks away from the scene with a few minor lacerations screaming something about how he can't find his hat and the other guy's in ICU for weeks. Most likely, they both saw it coming, one just didn't care or realize the weight of the situation and therefore did not "prepare" himself for the accident.

Ever get that feeling that you should be preparing yourself for an "accident" in your life? Get tensed up? I do. And there usually is one, especially if my mom's driving. They're never huge accidents. Just mailboxes and signs usually. Yet, I'm the one that sees it coming and understands that it's going to hurt. I'm the one freaking out and there she is screaming about her freaking hat and turning around to sign to my brother.

But then, the worst of it is, while I'm struggling with a missing limb, I have to be the one to get out of the car and help her unlatch her seat belt and calm her down and convince her that the nail she broke in the accident will grow back.

Yes, none of that made sense. My only point is that somebody should take away that woman's license! Think of the children!!

No comments: