Wednesday, May 21, 2003

I'm not one that is easily angered. I can't even remember the last time I was mad. Not including my family, of course. But even then I'm more mad at myself than I am at them. Anyway, tonight I got mad. It's stupid really. I realize that it's stupid. And it was all over American Idol, a soccer game and a pool. But really, I got mad because somebody was making judgements about me and my friends that were definitely uncalled for. Does watching the season finale of a favorite TV program make me unrighteous? It's not like I play video games all day every day, or spend all my time watching television. I only watch two shows. I pushed record the last two nights to attend FHE and Enrichment. My priorities are in order, I believe. I don't think watching American Idol makes me evil. At least not any more evil than I was before. But I'm not going to defend American Idol, the fact that I spend an average of 1.5 hours a week watching it, or not attending a soccer game. I didn't go. I wanted to. I was planning on attending the next one. But I'm not going to. I think I'm done. Why? Because I despise guilt trips. "You didn't go because you don't like me... I'm not worth your time because I'm not on TV... wah wah wah..." He's right. He's not worth my time. But not because he's not on TV. Because he makes me feel bad about myself. Because he makes my friends feel bad about themselves. Or at least because he tries to. Putting people down has never raised a person to a higher level. Pointing out people's faults makes you seem mean and haughty (especially when the faults aren't really faults at all but alternative characteristics.) If you spend all of your time searching for faults in others, you're not going to have any time to see the good in people... and you'll be missing the best parts of people... you'll be missing the person altogether. Why can't people just be nice to one another? If you want people to be supportive then be supportive. If you want people to see the best in you then look for the best in other people. If you want to be raised higher, then lift somebody else up. If you want a friend, be a friend. Aren't these all things we learned in kindergarten. Buck up!!!

No comments: