Friday, May 23, 2003

Today was my 5th time on roller blades. And today was the first time I fell on roller blades. Ow. Let me tell you... ow! I made it all the way to the other side of the trail without falling (it was a challenge though... lots of hills and such...) but the way back wasn't so smooth. We came to a tunnel/hill and there were two people sitting on the ledge of one of the walls. I skated past them, tried to get back to the right side (all the while screaming, "I'm gonna die! I'm gonna die!" as I picked up speed) and smashed into the wall, spun from there and hit my arm, bounced back and landed on my back... or more specifically... on the back of my head. Ow!! So the guy who was sitting on the wall comes over and helps me up and I skate away holding my head and muttering, "I knew I was going to die..." I keep on with Lisa right behind me. (She fell too since she was behind me and encountered a traffic jam when my mangled body was taking up the whole trail.)
Next hill I know I'm in trouble. There's nothing to hang on to. So I walk sideways down the hill on the gravel until there's no longer anything to hang on to. Realizing I have no dignity left anyways, I scoot on my bum to the other side of the trail where there are big rocks to hold on to. I'm holding onto the rocks and slowly lowering myself down the hill when my skates slip out from under me and I do a little belly flop onto the trail. Lisa starts laughing and mid-laugh she falls too. (Karma is a beautiful thing.) I pull myself up, tell Lisa to move out of the way and roll the rest of the way down the hill.
And here comes hill number three. There's a fence to hang on to so I'm feeling pretty confident as I slowly ease myself down. Except, what's this? I'm leaving a blood trail! Ow!!! I cut my finger on the rocks during the last fall and it's a gushy one. Gross. Did I mention how much I hate blood? Ya, not a fan. My head is killing me, my confidence is down, my elbow, foot and forearm is all nasty and red and my finger is leaving a trail of red. Not happy. No, no.
But all in all, I had a good time. Roller blading is good. And good for you. Except for when you fall. So, I would suggest to any roller bladers or roller blader wannabes... don't fall.

No comments: