Saturday, March 06, 2004

Conversation Highlights

My parents called Friday night. Again. Here are the highlights from the resulting "conversation."

Em: Hello?
Dad: Is Emily there?
Em: (shocked silence)
Dad: Emily? Is that you?
Em: Yes, it's me Dad.
Dad: Let me guess, I caught you on the way out the door again, right?
(Can you tell I've used this excuse a few times? It's usually true though.)
Em: No. But, actually, people are coming over. They should be here any minute.
(Silent prayer goes out that people WILL actually come soon and save me.)
Dad: You're always doing SOMETHING down there, aren't you?
Em: Yep.
Dad: But you like it?
Em: Yep.
Dad: So, you're planning on staying down there then?
Em: Yep.
Dad: So, I suppose if you're down there then you'll probably end up marrying some guy from down there.
Em: I suppose. But that's supposing a lot.
Dad: What?
Em: Nevermind.
Dad: So you're really staying down there?
Em: YES!!
Dad: Oh.
It shouldn't have been a news flash. But somehow it was. He was genuinely surprised at this news even though I'd told him I was never coming back during every visit home, during almost every phone conversation we'd ever had, when he tried to almost force me to put my stuff in the van last April after graduation and in every e-mail since. But apparantly my decision to keep the thousand miles between us still came as a shock.

Mom: Julie said that you applied to schools.
Em: Yep.
Mom: Is that true?
Em: Yep.
Mom: So you did, huh?
Em: Yep.
Mom: When do you hear back?
Em: April.
Mom: From the schools?
Em: Yep.
Mom: What schools?
Em: BYU and University of Utah.
Mom: Both in Utah?
Em: Yep.
Mom: Oh, cause Julie asked me if you'd heard anything yet and I didn't know anything about it.
Em: Huh.
Mom: So you're staying down there, huh?
Me: Yep.
It shouldn't have been a news flash. But somehow it was. I had mentioned applying to schools to my parents at least a thousand times since I made my plans... FIVE YEARS AGO! And at least a hundred times just in the past month and a half.

Mom: So, Grandma and I were wondering how many of you kids are in school and how many are working?
Me: What kids? The people in my ward? Because almost all of them are in school and I suppose a good majority have jobs too.
Mom: No, I mean just the girls.
Me: What girls?
Mom: You know, THE girls. Your little circle of friends.
Me: You mean Liz and Kat?
Mom: No, just the girls in your apartment. How many of THEM are working or going to school?
Me: Mom, there is no THEM. It's just Kat and I.
Mom: Only you and Kat live in your apartment?
Me: Yep.
Mom: Huh...
Me: It's been that way for a YEAR AND A HALF!!
It shouldn't have been a news flash. But somehow it was. When it comes to me and my life, my parents' obvious attention to detail just gives me warm fuzzies all over. Precious. Thank goodness for Excedrin.

No comments: