Tuesday, March 30, 2004

I'm the Next American Idol

On the way out of town we stopped to gas up. Okay, we were lost and were in desperate need of directions. On our way up to Hollywood to see American Idol, Heather pointed out the window and said, "That's a bad part of town! I'd rather have my bladder explode than stop there. You never want to go there!" I'm pretty sure that's where we were. Using the bathroom, gassing up, dodging homeless men adn asking for directions. At this nasty little gas station in a disgusting part of town between LA and Hollywood is where I met Mohan.

Mohan works at the nasty gas station in the disgusting part of town. He appears well kept, in his late thirties and he (entertainingly enough for me) looks and sounds like Apu from the Simpsons. Mags and Lisa were gassing the car and rearranging our stuff for a comfortable ride home. I went back in for directions.

"Hi," I said. "I was hoping to get some directions to I-15."
"Sure," he said. "No problem."
"Great!"
"Ya, you're going to go right at this light, turn left onto I-405... wiat... where are you going?"
"Salt Lake. I just need to get to I-15."
"You live there?"
"Ya."
"Why are you here? Vacation?"
"I went to see American Idol."
"You sing?"
"No. I went to watch it."
"But I'll bed you sing, right? I'll bet you have a beautiful singing voice."

His eyes were looking me up and down and rarely made contact with mine. I was officially creeped out and considered running out of there screaming. But there was the guy that had offered to watch my windows for a small fee standing right outside (who I had seen spit nasty green goo on my hood when I refused) and at least three other individuals that made the green spitter look like Jon Peter...

"No, I don't sing. My singing voice is actually kind of blood curdling."
"Oh, but your regular voice is real nice!"
"Uh, thanks." (I had a cold and sounded like a little boy going through puberty. My voice cracked at least three times during out conversation.)
"You know, it's getting late. How about you stay here for a few more days?"
"Uh, I don't think so. I have to get back."
"How about you just stay tonight?"
"No, I have class tomorrow."
"Well, can I have your number?"
"Uh..."
"In case you get lost and need more directions."
"How about you give me your number and I'll call you if I get lost?"
"You don't want to give me your number?"
"My mom would kill me."
"Alright, here's my number. Call me!"
"Right... thanks for the directions."
"Mohan."
"Mohan."
"What's your name?"
"Emily."
"Ah, Emily. Such a pretty name."
"Right... see ya."

No comments: