Monday, July 14, 2003

A few of us want to go see a movie and I'm told to figure out what time it's playing. The times aren't posted on the internet so I begin the constant redialing of Movies 8.
Call the number... busy...
redial... busy...
redial... busy...
redial... busy...
"Man, this stinks."
Phone rings.
"Hello?"
"Hi, this is Daniel. Are you guys still going to see Pirates?"
"Uh, I dunno. No, I don't think so. I think Holes? Or something? Kat knows. She'll call you back."
"Okay..."
"Bye."
Click.

"Hey, Kat! Call Dan back and tell him what we're doing."
"But you know what we're doing. Just tell him we're not sure and to just come over."
"I already hung up. You do it."
"Fine."
Kat calls Dan and tells him to come over.

"Em, have you gotten through to the theater? What's playing?"
"I dunno, I haven't gotten through yet."
"Well, keep trying."
"Okay."

Redial... ring... ring...
"Cool! I got through!"
"Hello?"
"Hi! What's playing?"
"What?"
"Your not listed on the internet today. What time is Holes playing?"
"I don't know."
"What?"
"I don't know."
"You don't know when it's playing? Do you even have Holes right now?"
"Uh... huh?"
"Wait a minute... is this Daniel?"
"Ya."
"Hehehehe!!! I'm sorry! I forgot Kat called you and I just hit redial again thinking I was getting the theater! Hahahaha!"
"Uh... okay... so I'm still coming over?"
"Ya, see you in a bit."

Kat comes in laughing having heard my mistake.
"See, that's funny?"
"Ya, I know. I'm not smart."
"No, the fact that you admitted to him what you did!"
"Huh?"
"He didn't know who you were. I would have just hung up."
"Oh. That would have made sense."
"Hahahaha! But not you! You just admit when you're stupid!"
"Hehehe!"

And it's true. I do admit when I'm stupid. I don't know why. Like last night, I was writing love notes at the bar in the rec room. I turned around and started walking without looking and ran headlong right into the support beam. There were three people sitting right next to it facing me but they all happened to be looking away when it happened. Two people at the table a few feet away had missed it too. And Caroline had her back turned to me. I started laughing and people looked up. "Haha! I just... nevermind." Nobody saw it! Just keep quiet. I walk and put the love notes away. I can't help it, though! Running into a pole is funny! What's the point of smacking into a beam when the only one laughing is you? I gotta tell! "Caroline! Hey, Caroline! Guess what I just did? I can't believe you missed it but I just turned around and smacked right into that pole! Hahaha!" It's like a disease.

No comments: