Thursday, January 01, 2004

A Christmas Miracle

On Christmas day I was ready to snap. The day after Christmas I spent the whole day with my mom and I was frustrated, confused and trapped. The day after that was Saturday. I took my kid brother to his bowling league and my friend Jennifer called to ask me to babysit her kids from 5:50pm - 1am. I gratefully accepted the excuse to leave my parents and spend the evening doing anything else. At 5:45 a miracle happened. I was running late of course and running through my house putting together a backpack to take to Jennifer's to entertain myself after the kids went to bed when my cell phone rang. I only get one bar of reception at my parents' house since we live in a small valley and as a result it's choppy and hard to understand the person on the line. But I knew it was Julie and after a few minutes of piecing the gaps together it finally dawned on me that she was inviting me to go to New York with her and her husband to pick up a car and that we would be leaving the very next day. I hurried through the conversation, remembering that I was very late for Jennifer's and told her I'd call her once I got there. A few minutes later she was at Jennifer's house as well and we were making plans for our New York adventure.

Jennifer and her husband came home at 1:45. I had to leave my house at 5am for the airport and I was far from packed. I slept for 45 minutes that night. My dad drove Lance, Julie and I to the airport still confused at why I was going and how I can be okay with such spontaneity. A few hours later we were in New York. We stayed in the Hilton at Times Square and we walked around the city for a bit. I was in heaven. The next day we took the Subway to Manhattan to pick up the Suburban they had purchased off of Ebay and at 6pm on Monday we started our trip across country. We rotated between drivers and drove around the clock, driving through ten states and arriving in Salt Lake City on Wednesday around 1pm.

I love Lance and Julie Faerber. I love New York. I love road trips. I love randomness and craziness. I love Christmas miracles. And I love that I'M BACK!!!

No comments: