Sunday, January 11, 2004

The Toilet Monster

My sister was always really big on the mind games. She would hit me and hit me and hit me and I wouldn't crack. I refused to cry. But for some reason, I always fell for her mind games. She was good at it and I was gullible. For some reason I wanted to trust her so badly that I would believe anything she told me even if I knew it was ridiculous. A classic example is the Toilet Monster.

You see, the Toilet Monster lives in your toilet. It sleeps in the curvy part of your toilet and he's mad because all it gets is well... not usually appetizing. What it really wants is... you! Lucky for you, though, it sleeps a lot. In fact, the Toilet Monster is only awaken when the toilet is flushed.

"And so, Emily... if you want to survive you had better run as soon as the toilet is flushed!" My sister explained the rules of survival to me. See? She really did care about her baby sister! She even demonstrated what to do for me. "Now, you wait in the hall so you'll be safe this time and see how I do it. I try to stretch and already have one foot out the door when I push the lever... one... two... THREE!" She took off down the hall and I followed after. I just knew that I'd be this monster's next victim.

Come on... a Toilet Monster? I knew it was silly. But... was it? My sister apparantly believed in it. She was at least eleven at this time. Or did she? Was she just pretending to believe so that I would be scared? Probably. But was it worth the risk? No.

And so I ran. I ran so fast every time I had to flush that toilet. I was so sure every time that this would be the time that that ugly thing would get me.

My best friend came over to visit. I went in to use the bathroom and she waited for me outside in the hall. I opened the door and saw her there... in danger's way. "Uh, Sarah? When I say 'go' you run down the hall as fast as you can, okay?"
"Why?" she asked. It was a valid question but I was too embarassed to tell her the truth about how I believed in the Toilet Monster.
"Just do it, okay??"
"Okay."
"One... two... THREE!" I flushed the toilet. "Go! Go! Go!"
We tore down the hall and into the living room. Sarah laughed when we got there and rolled on the floor. "That was fun! Why did we run?"
"Uh, no reason. Just thought it'd be fun, that's all."

She couldn't know that I was stupid enough to believe in the Toilet Monster and, more importantly, to believe anything my sister said. And she never did. Well, until now. Hi, Sarah.

No comments: