Wednesday, January 21, 2004

Kat Fell

The phone rang. I ran to my bedroom and picked it up. "Hello?"
"Emily?"
My blood ran cold. What do I say??
"Ya... Hi, Dad." D'oh! That wasn't what I wanted to say!!
"Ah, I thought it was you. And I'm guessing that since I called you after ten your time that you're not getting ready to go someplace else as you usually are when we call."
Think fast! Think fast!
"Actually... I am."
"You are? Where?"
"Uh... my friend just called and asked me to come over and I was just about to head out the door."
"But since you're just going to visit a friend then it doesn't matter when you show up. You can talk to us for a while."
"Well, I did say that I was coming right over..."
"You're going to talk to your mother."
"Okay." WHY?????

He talked. She talked and talked and talked and talked. The guests in the living room left. My hair got a bit grayer. Kat came in, stood right behind me, fell hard and loud and yelled, "Em!! Help! I fell! EM???"

"Mom? I gotta go. Kat fell."

No comments: