Thursday, March 20, 2003

A fun little anecdote...

Over Christmas break I was grocery shopping with my mom. This is always a very long and tedious process. We go to something we need... let's say bread... we look at the bread.
I say, "Mom, which kind do you usually get?"
"Oh, I dunno."
"You don't know?"
"Uh...?"
"Okay... well, how about you just get this kind? This kind is fine."
"Did you compare prices?"
"Sure, Mom. I think we're going to be okay here."
"Do you think Wayne will eat it?"
"It's bread, Mom. And also, Wayne's a 16 yr old boy... he'll eat anything..."
"Okay... if you feel it's best."
"I really do. This bread may change your life."
We put the bread in the cart. One item down... 8 billion left to go! So we continue on... but before we get to item two we run into somebody my mom (or both of us) knows. A 5-45 min conversation follows. Conversation done... we move on to item 2... and the cycle continues on... one isle to the next... one person to the next... vicious...

Finally, we get to the soda (what the heck??? I meant pop. Pop!!) isle. Now this is where things get extraordinarily bizarre. I grew up in a very small house and the small garage gets ridiculously cold and since I'm from Seattle and it's the same weather all year... it's cold all year! This is great (unless it's your only hiding spot in the house and you end up layering in old clothes left in boxes since the mid seventies) for storing food... or more specifically... pop. There's a pile as tall as the Great Wall of China in there... Sprite for Dad, Diet Pepsi for Grandma, Dr. Pepper for Mom, Root Beer for Wayne... cases upon cases of soda pop. It's crazy. It really is. Anyway, Mom and I are approaching... the isle!!
I say, "Okay, Mom. Do we really need anything down here? I think you've got the soda thing covered."
"What?"
"Pop. I mean pop. I think you've got the pop thing covered."
"What?"
"Okay... let's try this... I think you have enough pop."
"But there's a sale."
"Yes. But I don't know if you can fit more pop in the garage. The scouts could use the wall for climbing."
"Don't be smart."
"Sorry. But we don't need more."
"But there's a sale."
"But we don't need it."
"But there's a sale."
"Remember that one time when you bought Spam just because it was on sale?"
"Yes."
"Did anybody eat that Spam?"
"No."
"So did you really save any money then?"
"Yes. It was two for one. Good deal."
"Yes, two for one is good if you use it... but you spent money on something that wasn't used so therefore you actually wasted money..."
"What?"
"Nevermind. What kind of pop do you need?"
"Um... Sprite... some Dr. Pepper... Grandma probably has enough Diet Pepsi but we might as well buy it while it's so cheap... some Root Beer..."
"Okay... great... I'll just pile it all in then... you wait here..."
"Emily, as a special treat, I'll let you pick out a kind of pop that you want."
"I leave tomorrow. I won't be able to drink a whole case of pop."
"Fine! Gosh, every time I try to do something nice for you you get all snippy."
"I wasn't being snippy."
"You hate me, don't you?"
"No... Mom..."
"WHY?"
"Mom! Thank you! Thank you for letting me pick out some pop! Wow! That's super! Let's see! Look at all the choices... hmmm..."
"Ya, you pick whatever you want... it's your special treat..."
"Thanks, Mom. I'll get my favorite... Cherry Coke."
"WHAT????"
"Cherry Coke."
"But that's so bad for you!"
"We're talking about pop... so yes it is..."
"How about you get Cherry Pepsi instead?"
"Why?"
"Coke is so bad for you, Emily. I'm so disappointed in you. You're supposed to be an example for you brother."
"Mom... if you're talking about caffeine..."
"Yes! Caffeine!"
"Yes... well there's just as much caffeine in Pepsi... and Dr. Pepper... and some Root Beers..."
"No there's not."
"Yes there is."
"No there's not. Not as much as in Coke. Coke is bad. Pepsi is much better for you. Get the Cherry Pepsi."
"Whatever. You said I could pick my pop and I'm picking it. Cherry Coke is my favorite. I pick Cherry Coke."
"Are you sure?"
"Yes."
"Fine. You were always the difficult one."

Yep... I'm the difficult one. The demon child that drinks Cherry Coke. I drank one can and then I went back to Provo. Good deal.

No comments: