Tuesday, March 18, 2003

I am unpretty. Apparantly this really bothers my friends. It doesn't bother them so much that I'm not pretty... as it does that I admit that I'm not pretty and won't say otherwise. They feel this is unhealthy. As if I don't have self-esteem because I don't believe myself to be attractive. But this isn't true. I just don't value myself by my appearance (or by my intelligence for that matter). It would only end in tears. I believe that this is healthy. They wouldn't ask a guy without legs to admit he was a fast runner. And they wouldn't be shocked when he didn't put that as one of his self-esteem boosters. He'd base his self-esteem elsewhere. Healthy choice. I base my self-esteem on other things such as... my ability to tie my own shoes... my ability to read... my ability to roll my tongue... and my ability to scare the living daylights out of my roommate by putting on a hoodie and entering a room. But still they'll say, "But, Emily. You're pretty! Just admit that you're pretty! Fine, then tell me WHY you don't think you're pretty." OK guys... here it goes... my reasons for knowing that I'm not pretty are three fold... One - I can see. The mirror and pictures (past and present) reflect otherwise. Two - Even my family and close friends growing up have told me that I'm NOT pretty. This fact wouldn't just change overnight. Three - In my billions of psych classes we learned about different levels of attractiveness based on responses of peers. Test done on me = NOT attractive! And so, my lovely ladies... survey says, "Emily is NOT pretty." Carry on with your own opinions. Say it if you must. But I will not say that I'm pretty.

No comments: