Tuesday, March 11, 2003

The parentals... I'm pretty sure I've found the source of my headaches. I got an email from my dad today (along with a phone call but my ridiculously wonderful roommate took care of that) and my head turned into a breeding ground for pain. He wrote, "So again I emphasize to update your checking record book as soon as you write a check. Because if you don't get in the habit of doing so, it could be very costly to you. You will be on your own in a few weeks, and I will not be able to help you out by warning you." Oh, how I'll miss this fatherly advise. What he failed to mention was the cause. Good ol' dad decided to "borrow" a few hundred dollars from my checking account (and didn't deem it necessary to tell me about it) which has now resulted in me overdrawing more than TEN TIMES! But of course it's my fault. Little irresponsible Emily made a stupid mistake again. I will be "on my own" in a few weeks. (Whatever that means... when wasn't I on my own?) But tomorrow I close the account and open a new one that dad can't dip into so easily.
It's funny though, it really is. It reminds me of a scene from Will and Grace when Jack asks his son for money so he can grab a hotdog to eat on his way home. His son hands him two dollars. "But I just need one," Jack says. But his son gives him a fatherly pat and lets him keep the extra dollar. "You're a good son." I must be a pretty #@! good daughter. They got a whole lot more than two bucks... but they won't be getting the motherly pat. Maybe it evens out then. I dunno.

No comments: