Saturday, November 29, 2003

Thanksgiving Miracles

This Thanksgiving was a Thanksgiving of Miracles for me. What counts as a miracle? Let me tell you...

- I didn't get lost on the way to or from Caroline's house (granted I was following Caroline but you would be surprised at how often that doesn't make a difference.)
- I had no use for my "escape vehicle." Not once! (In fact I think the only person that used it was Jena.)
- I ate three candy canes in three days and I ate them just for kicks, not out of nerves. (And believe me, I came prepared to eat a lot of them!)
- I cried zero tears for the very first time on the third Thursday of November. (And I don't mean 2%! I mean no tears!)
- I was not scared at all at any given time. (I don't think I was even jumpy. It was as if I didn't think anybody was going to hurt me... ooh!)
- I didn't think anybody was going to hurt me. (A huge miracle because...)
- I was safe this Thanksgiving for the very first time!
- I was not expected to make the whole meal myself at the same time my family was yelling at me and eating all of my
ingredients and then clean up the whole mess myself afterward as my family was yelling at me to move faster and asking about dessert. (Instead I hardly did anything useful at all and the only people yelling were the people watching the football game. Which brings me to my next miracle...)
- I didn't find it necessary to take a single Excedrin or Tylenol with Codeine. (And I was packing... believe me.)
- I didn't feel like a social reject even though I had never been in a situation like that before.
- I didn't have a single nightmare!! Can you imagine??
- I was with people that I loved and liked me back enough to allow me to come over and be in their way for three days and they even acted like they liked it!

They may seem like no big deal to you but they were miracles to me! And Caroline and her family and my Ann-Marie are definitely my angels. I told Caroline's mom that this was my best Thanksgiving ever and it was no lie. This Thanksgiving wasn't full of the bare minimal survival tactics. This Thanksgiving I had fun and a lot of it! I was happy and content. I felt welcome and comfortable. And really... that was the greatest Thanksgiving Miracle of them all.

No comments: